.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Pakistan Merchant Shipping - Maritime Business and Employment.

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

How WWW entered the life of a mariner.

I have served in merchant navy for 23 years, got my Certificate of Competency Class One (Deck), Master Mariner Unlimited and served to the rank of Chief Officer onboard merchant vessels. I mainly served onboard oil tankers of varied tonnage from small product tankers to ULCCs – ultra large crude oil carriers; even served on ship carrying vegetable oils, palm oil and soyabean oil.

In 1998, while serving onboard a tanker vessel I fell sick, and was diagnosed with sciatica. Doctors advised me to under go immediate surgery after seeing the MRI reports. They explained that the disk between my lumber vertebra L5 and sacral vertebra S1 had collapsed and busted with fragments pressing the nerve, which as a result was causing sciatica pain in my left leg.

Once decided I under went sugary. It only took one and a half hour, the second day I was made to walk and the third day I was discharged from hospital. It took two months of long walks and some exercises to get healed fully, until my doctor told me to go back on job. I was lucky to recover fully and found my self working like before without any difficulty. Let me add that a chief officer onboard oil tankers has quite a physical job: entering tanks for inspection and visiting odd confined spaces that require bending and all sort of ‘gymnastics’ with very long working hours and tense tanker operations.

During the sick leave I bought my first computer, a Celeron 266MHz with a 2.1G hard drive, got use to it by studying self help books and found myself fascinated by the power and scope of the WWW.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home